How to Tackle Mental Health in the Workplace
How prevalent are mental health conditions in workplaces?
How to address mental health in the workplace
How managers can support individual employees
- Recognise common signs and symptoms of mental illness.
- Know when and how to intervene.
- Know what support is available to managers and employees within the organisation.
- Be approachable, available and encouraging.
- Tailor management style to treat team members as individuals and identify their needs.
- Manage assignments so employees are not overloaded or facing excessive deadlines.
- Meet regularly with each team member to check on work progress, identify challenges and plan for support.
How colleagues can support each other
- Approach, assess, and assist.
- Listen non-judgmentally.
- Give support and information.
- Encourage appropriate professional help.
- Encourage other support.
- Avoid looking at your phone or computer when someone is talking with you.
- Acknowledge you are hearing the individual with an occasional, gentle nod of the head.
- Avoid making comparisons. Emotions are an individual experience. Don’t say, “I know exactly what you’re going through.”
- Let them know that it’s okay not to be okay.